Reuters reported the participants in the initiative, called “Collective Strength”, included treasury officials from Israel, the United States, the UK, United Arab Emirates, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Thailand, plus representatives from the International Monetary Fund, World Bank and Bank of International Settlements.
- The Facts:
- Israel led a 10-country, 10-day-long simulation of a major cyberattack on the world’s financial system by “sophisticated” players.
- The goal was to minimize the damage to banks and financial markets.
- It was held on December 9th, 2021 and included the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the Finance Ministry in Jerusalem.
- Reflect On:
- Why are suggestions that some major global crises may be planned considered ridiculous when the events occur shortly after war games exercises?
- Are we collectively having open, honest and mature conversations about these ideas?