The spokesman for Operation Inherent Resolve said coalition airstrikes targeted ISIS’ oil tankers for the first time — with a warning from the sky first.
Briefing via teleconference from Baghdad to the Pentagon this morning, Col. Steve Warren told reporters that since Saturday “France has conducted numerous strikes against targets in Raqqa” — the capital of the Islamic State. …
The leaflets, which fluttered to the ground about 45 minutes before the strikes, simply said: “Get out of your trucks now, and run away from them. Warning: airstrikes are coming. Oil trucks will be destroyed. Get away from your oil trucks immediately. Do not risk your life.”
“We combine these leaflet drops with very low altitude passes of some of our attack aviation, which sends a very powerful message,” the colonel added.
He said the decision to drop warnings came after they “assessed that these trucks, while although they are being used for operations that support ISIL, the truck drivers, themselves, probably not members of ISIL; they’re probably just civilians.”
“So we had to figure out a way around that. We’re not in this business to kill civilians, we’re in this business to stop ISIL — to defeat ISIL.”
Thus, they tried to come up with a strategy “to kind of shoo people away without harming them.” …
Since when is the US concerned with civilian casualties? This is laughable.
- Behind the Death Squads in El Salvador
- Salvadoran Says US Advisors Watched Torture Class
- El Salvador: Assassin says US Financed Death Squad
- Salvadoran Death Squads: A Pattern of US Complicity
- THE CIA & GUATEMALA’S DEATH SQUADS
- Guatemala: Puppets Get Strings Crossed, Abduct U.S. Nun
- Sister Dianna Ortiz on Guatemala Torture
- The United States and Torture
- Behind Haiti’s Paramilitaries
- Honduras: Torture cells, graves at US-Contra base
- CIA Analyst Says US Taught Nazi Torture to Iran’s Secret Police