Electronic voting machines are perfectly designed to steal elections. That’s their principle purpose. Ireland has just gotten rid of them altogether. Germany, Japan, Canada, Switzerland all use paper ballots. Why? Because you can actually count them in public, and then count them again.
But here in the US, elections are corporate-owned and operated. Anyone who experienced pushing the e-spot for John Kerry and having the name George W. Bush light up—as happened so often in Ohio 2004—knows all too well that what Marta Steele documents in this remarkable book has become the defining reality in American election theft.
Also see “Hacking Democracy” in the reference section.
Czars to run Michigan’s cities
by Jim Hightower, The Lowdown September 2012
One of our nation’s finest political satirists, cartoonist Garry Trudeau, has created a buffoonish character named Trff Bmzklfrpz for his “Doonesbury” comic strip. A caricature of despotic thugs everywhere, Bmzklfrpz is presented by Trudeau as the ruler of the aptly named Greater Berzerkistan.
(Michigan Governor) Rick Snyder must’ve studied there, for he had barely taken his oath of office before suddenly teaming with leaders of the Republican-controlled statehouse and senate to ram into law an astonishing measure of despotic rule. It only took two weeks in March of 2011 for the ponderously titled “Local Government and School District Fiscal Accountability Act” to be rushed through both houses of the legislature and signed by Snyder. Before the public knew it–BAM! –the governor was authorized to establish his own autocratic republic: Michiganistan.
At bottom, the LGSDFA Act is a doozy of autocratic mischief-making. It lets the governor seize control of any local government he deems to be in fiscal trouble, suspend the people’s democratic authority, impose a corporatized version of martial law, and install his own “emergency financial manager” (EFM) to govern by diktat (like some hybrid of Soviet czar and tinhorn potentate–a Bmzklfrpz, in other words).
- Emergency managers begin by usurping the power of all elected officials or simply “firing” them.
- They can then rewrite the public budget without any public participation, unilaterally eliminate various services, cancel contracts, seize and sell off public assets, privatize government functions, and dictate new laws.
- They can even dissolve a city’s charter.
This isn’t merely un-democratic–it’s aggressively anti-democratic.
Plutocrats in action
Let’s go to Pontiac, a once proud city boasting that one of America’s iconic cars was named after it and made there, employing 23,000 auto workers in the General Motors factory. Today, though, those jobs have been moved out-of-state or eliminated, the Pontiac brand itself has been jettisoned by GM, the city’s population has dropped, property values have plummeted, and the city government has been left in a fiscal wreck. To add to its miseries, Gov. Snyder’s cutbacks in revenue sharing mean that Pontiac’s funds have been slashed by a third.
The governor did give something to the people of Pontiac, though: An emergency manager. Appointed last September for an indefinite period (he’s still there), he promptly relieved the city council of their powers and salaries. Then he fired the city attorney, clerk, and director of public works before acting on his own to outsource the work of various departments. Next, he offered up about half of the people’s property in a fire sale of assets–including city hall, police and fire stations, the library, water-pumping stations, a golf course, and two cemeteries. More recently, he has issued five edicts undermining contracts with union workers and retirees.
On to Benton Harbor, the home of Whirlpool Corporation…The town’s major asset, a public park overlooking the lake, is being absorbed into “Harbor Shores,” a $500 million Whirlpool-backed resort project that includes a sprawling, Jack Nicklaus-designed golf course. Of course, impoverished locals can’t live or golf there, but the developers (who got government subsidies for the project) are hoping that Chicago weekenders will make the two-hour trek to the place.
These people are losing their park, but worse, a fellow named Joe Harris has taken a more valuable asset from them: Their democracy.
Harris is Snyder’s EFM and literally the Dictator of Benton Harbor. A former Detroit auditor, he began by summarily stripping all power from elected officials, decreeing that city commissioners can meet, but the only action they can take is to approve minutes of their last meeting and then adjourn. When commissioners made a mild (but clever) protest by proclaiming this past spring that the city would observe Constitution Week, Harris monocratically nullified their action. What perfect symbolism! He then expressed surprise that this had upset townspeople: “All I told them was, ‘Hey, guys, you have no authority.'”
The people of Michigan are fighting back, and against heavy well-funded opposition have placed a repeal measure of the LGSDFA Act (aka Public Act 4) on this November’s ballot. The referendum requires a “NO” vote to strike down PA4 and restore PA72. This is a preview of what is coming to our own communities, as the oligarchs refine their tactics for American cities after plundering Latin America and Southern Europe. We need to help Michigan draw the line in the sand.
Full text with much more detail on Koch Bro. involvement at http://www.hightowerlowdown.org/node/3105 More info on Proposition 1 at http://www.eclectablog.com/2012/10/vote-no-on-michigan-prop-1-and-rid-our-state-of-public-act-4-and-anti-democratic-emergency-managers.html
Monsanto & friends are spending over $1 million a day to fight GMO labeling and defeat Prop. 37. YOU CAN HELP. JOIN the VOLUNTEERS to FIGHT BACK NOW!
In less than 2 weeks, Californians will vote on Prop. 37. This is an historic campaign – it would mean that for the first time in the United States, consumers would have the right to know if the food they are eating has been genetically tampered with by chemical companies. Nearly one million Californians signed their names to put the California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act – aka Prop 37 – on the ballot, and over 90% of Americans say they support labeling GMOs. BUT RIGHT NOW, the world’s largest pesticide and junk food companies, led by Monsanto, DuPont, Dow Chemical, Pepsi, Kraft & Coca Cola have invested over $40 million and are spending $1 million per day to deceive Californians. They are flooding the state with misleading ads to confuse and scare the voters and to trick people into voting against their own best interests. And it’s working. In the past week our poll numbers have dropped from 61% to 48%. WE MUST FIGHT BACK.
Here are the ways YOU can help to fight back:
- If you live in California, click here to find your local leader and get involved. You can be a part of history in the making and help your state pass groundbreaking legislation. Your help will make a difference!
- Click here to Volunteer for our national phone bank to help us reach 1 million more Californians before Election Day, November 6! It’s super easy to volunteer. Sign up for a shift of your choice based on your availability. This is a close race and your calls may bring home the deciding votes. You can make a difference. We know we can win with your help! We are in the home stretch. California needs your help NOW.
Please pass this on to friends and family who would be interested as well.
The truth is getting out! Together we can overcome the dirty campaign efforts of chemical and big food bullies! With your help, we can win!
Institute for Responsible Technology Food Policy Fund
The Institute for Responsible Technology Food Policy Fund is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization engaging in advocacy and legislative lobbying activities.
William Rodriguez’s talk starts around 25 minutes into the video, the key passage starts at 1:07.
Drone-murders of Americans ‘Totally right, totally Constitutional’: Homeland Security Chairperson
… and if you question it, you are “a horrible moron,” concludes Peter T. King, Chair of the House Committee on Homeland Security.
This 2-minute video from We Are Change Luke Rudkowski powerfully captures what US “leadership” has become. The good news is their arrogance and evasion is only tragic-comic sideshows to the “emperor has no clothes” obvious facts of their massive crimes centering in war and money.
This is what matters:
- War law within US treaties is crystal-clear in letter and intent: no nation may use military armed attacks unless under attack by another nation’s government. The US military armed attacks in current and expanding targets are obvious unlawful and unconstitutional Wars of Aggression. War law was written in every language on the planet for the people to uphold limited government in war.
- War law is the legal victory of all American families’ sacrifices through two world wars. US military have Oaths of Enlistment to support and defend the US Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. War law’s treaty-status means US military are obligated to refuse all orders in current wars and act to arrest those who issue them. There are no lawful war orders when the wars are unlawful.
- The use of war violence is usually associated with criminal acts for money, and lies to evade public recognition of these obvious crimes. Crimes by US oligarchic “leadership” for money are just as obvious upon inspection. Propaganda by US corporate media’s six companies to criminally lie and evade is also easy to prove for anyone willing to look.
This is our present and future:
- Americans can choose intellectual integrity and moral courage to use their voices and actions in light of the “emperor has no clothes” obvious. This will save millions of lives, help billions in poverty, and reclaim trillions in the public’s monies that have been looted. The obvious war-murders will end. Obvious reforms to release looted money, and reforming credit and money as public services rather than bankster parasitism can quickly cause full-employment for infrastructure investment.
- Americans should consider a Truth & Reconciliation offer to the “1%” criminals. The advantage is to split those members willing to reclaim their hearts and integrity to help us, make it easier for the criminals to surrender rather than fight us, and most quickly enact policies to reclaim our humanity.
- Americans could refuse to engage in this basic civil requirement for freedom, and earn the Greek insult for political apathy that is so powerful it’s remained untranslated for over 2,000 years: idiot.
Choose carefully. You may just have what you choose and work for.
Actually it’s not fair to call him a horrible moron. He’s just making a living in a corrupt system which selects for moronic behavior. This is the problem with concentrated power, the connections between means and motive become ever-tighter. This is why the founders’ model of separation of powers was so ingenious. Unfortunately they didn’t understand money sufficiently to provide for the avoidance of the concentration of that power, which has purchased the other 3 branches of government.
… The Epicyte scientists went one step further and created the ultimate GM crop—‘contraceptive corn’—after researchers discovered a rare class of human antibodies that attack sperm. By isolating the genes that regulate the manufacture of these antibodies, and by putting them in corn plants, the company has created tiny horticultural factories that make contraceptives.
Announcing his success at a 2001 press conference, the president of Epicyte, Mitch Hein, pointing to his GMO corn plants and announced, “We have a hothouse filled with corn plants that make anti-sperm antibodies.”
HEIN EXPLAINED that they had taken antibodies from women with a rare condition known as immune infertility, isolated the genes that regulated the manufacture of those infertility antibodies, and, using genetic engineering techniques, had inserted the genes into ordinary corn seeds. In this manner they have produced a hidden contraceptive embedded in corn meant for human consumption.
“If the men eat the epicyte gene they produce antibodies to
their own sperm, rendering them irreversibly sterile.”
“Essentially, the antibodies are attracted to surface receptors on the sperm,” said Hein. “They latch on and make each sperm so heavy it cannot move forward. It just shakes about as if it was doing the lambada.” Hein claimed it was a possible solution to world “over-population.” …
Shortly after the 2001 Epicyte press release, all discussion of the breakthrough vanished. The company itself was taken over in 2004 by Biolex and nothing more was heard in any media about the development of spermicidal corn. …